Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Turbo Monkey

Hitch racks Thule Vs. Yakima

I need a 2" receiver rack and am wondering if any body has any feedback, mostly on the Yakima. I know most people use the Thule T2 and have heard it is a solid system but I can get the Yakima for just over $300 on sale. I don't want to loose a $3000+ DH bike by trying to save $50, so I am wondering if the Yakima is on par with the T2.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...34374302882823
    "it's such a fine line between stupid and clever."-David St. Hubbins

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    I Don't have the holdup, but I do run the Yakima Stickup - less expensive option, I believe - run it on my Suburu 1" 1/4 hitch with 2 DH bikes and have had no problems at all. It is probably at its weight limit, though.

Grasshopper
    The Yakima Holdup is on par with the T2. For the most part all yakima products have an equivalent Thule product in terms of quality and functionality. Thule is more popular and if you are looking to resell it in the future you will probably find it easier to sell the Thule system. One main advantage to buying Thule products is the ability to use one key for all of your Thule accessories. But you will pay extra for the locks. The specific Yakima rack you are looking at comes with a cable lock included in the price and should be good to go out of the box.

An important warning about the T2 - I personally know two people who carry DH bikes who have had the rack fail at the crossbrace. I no longer use a T2 myself - I have a Holdup and with v2 shipping in about a week there is really no reason to consider a T2 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakima
    Replaced the straight pull pin and lanyard with a spring loaded pull pin, pin automatically goes into place instead of trying to manually insert. Pivot Arms now have a stop at 90 degrees to prevent them from hitting ground and possibly dragging. Rack now tilts down 20 degrees for better access to the rear of the vehicle.

Turbo Monkey
    not the cheapest around, but wickedly awesome setups!

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

Not to derail but has anyone had any issues with the yakima rack with the 2 bike extender?

My yakima has developed alot of play in it over the 2 years ive had it. Alot of it was due to slop in the hitch, but I have since shimmed that and its still a bit wobbly through the bumps and gravel road. Its not bad but can be unnerving when looking through the rear view mirror. I want the capability to carry 4 bikes but wondering if i should reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by ridiculous View Post
    Not to derail but has anyone had any issues with the yakima rack with the 2 bike extender?
    If you are looking for long term use with heavier bikes its probably not the best option. If you read the fine print most tray racks cannot handle 4 DH/FR bikes without hitting their recommended weight limits - that goes for Thule, Yakima, Saris, etc on their premium tray racks. I've never seen the NS racks in person, perhaps they are better for 4 bike loads.

Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    If you are looking for long term use with heavier bikes its probably not the best option. If you read the fine print most tray racks cannot handle 4 DH/FR bikes without hitting their recommended weight limits - that goes for Thule, Yakima, Saris, etc on their premium tray racks. I've never seen the NS racks in person, perhaps they are better for 4 bike loads.
    I am running the Thule T2 with bike extender and use it on decent shuttle roads. Some pot holes but nothing crazy. I have had it for almost 2 years and it is getting somewhat sloppy. I ALWAYS run a thick cable with heavy duty lock through the frames to the hitch just in case.

The one from north shore racks looks really nice, but I would like something that swings away from the vehicle with 4 DH bike capability.

I will probably run my Thule for another year and try to design and build something myself to my specs.

- 4 DH bike capability
    - ability to tilt down
    - ability to swing away from vehicle

Have to learn to weld first though.

goin back to cali, cali, cali, goin back to cali!
    If your running bigger bikes and up to 4 I'd look at saris cyclon pro I have had 3.
    1 I sold, 1 got rear ended at 40mph and sorta survived aside of the stinger being bent and now the insurance co is paying me for it so ill be buying a new one.
    I have hauled up to 4 40lb + bikes countless miles and hauled mine literally thousands of miles and fire roads 4x4 roads etc and never close to losing a bike
    My Sponsorhouse!

There's plenty of time to rest when your dead or knocked out

CANFIELD - AVALANCHE -TLD -SCHWALBE - DEITY

I had a Saris Cycle On Pro but would not recommend it over the T2 or Holdup. The Saris is only more desirable in a situation when you have a spare tire or giant bumper to clear as it sticks way out and is not an option for vehicles with minimal ground clearance - you'll bottom out like crazy in transitions. My friend has bottomed his a few times and his car has decent ground clearance at the hitch (Ford Explorer). It also has more issues with bike interference due to tray spacing, and the 2 bike add-on has a weight limit of 35 lbs/bike. Its amazing how many people can't read

Quote Originally Posted by jmvar View Post
    I will probably run my Thule for another year and try to design and build something myself to my specs.

- 4 DH bike capability
    - ability to tilt down
    - ability to swing away from vehicle

Have to learn to weld first though.
    It does not tilt down, but a company is aiming to make a swing away tray design. I don't know if they've released their rack yet but they've had ads in Bike for several issues now...

http://www.mweracks.com/

http://mweracks.blogspot.com/

Last edited by syadasti; 04-07-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Personally, go with the Thule. I've used both, and I am underwhelmed by the yak. I have lots of Yak products, but the Holdup falls short IMO. The bikes are too close together and too close to the car. The bars hit my back window when you hit a bump. Also, with 3 DH bikes and 1 XC bike, the rack sags in a scary way.
    The fold up feature is a joke. The T2 has a linkage and a latch so one person can simply pull the handle and lift. The Holdup requires 2 people. One person to pull and reinstall a pin, and another to lift the stupid heavy rack. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    Personally, go with the Thule. I've used both, and I am underwhelmed by the yak. I have lots of Yak products, but the Holdup falls short IMO. The bikes are too close together and too close to the car. The bars hit my back window when you hit a bump. Also, with 3 DH bikes and 1 XC bike, the rack sags in a scary way.
    The fold up feature is a joke. The T2 has a linkage and a latch so one person can simply pull the handle and lift. The Holdup requires 2 people. One person to pull and reinstall a pin, and another to lift the stupid heavy rack. Fail.
    I've not just used but owned all three. The T2 is actually closer to the car than the Holdup when compared on the same vehicle:

Quote Originally Posted by sicklines
    Rack Model Height Length Width Bumper clearance
    Saris Cycle-On Pro 7″ 32″ 70″ 10.5″
    Thule T2 7.9″ 34.3″ 60″ 3.5″
    Yakima HookUp 2.5″ 31″ 56″ 5″
    The Holdup actually has more even space than the hookup:

Quote Originally Posted by Yakima
    Dimensions: 53” wide, 33” extension from hitch bolt hole (15.5” when folded). Approximately 12” between hitch bolt hole and first bike tray (7" when folded).
    The Saris has the most clearance but it has the most bike to bike interference issues - I have not had any yet with my Holdup. On the Saris often I had to run the bikes both facing the same direction to fit due to the spacing.

As I mentioned above, the Holdup has been redesigned and is shipping it a week without the other complaints you mentioned. On the T2 you have to remove a pin to tilt it down, it sounds like the new Yakima has folding up and tilting down with a spring loaded bolt system - no more pins at all to deal with period.

The only thing I can give the T2 is that the 4-bar pivot setup is better than the Holdup or Saris but the holdup has better ground and bumper clearance than the T2 and is most compact of any in its stowed position.

This is what you get with long term use with DH bikes on the T2

Last edited by syadasti; 04-07-2009 at 01:10 PM.

The Kuat NV looks like it might be a nice premium rack, it will be out in July last I heard:

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/conte...d=32&Itemid=44

Chimp
    I've reviewed a number of these racks in the 1.25" version. For what it is worth I still own the Thule T2 and found it to have the best features and function over the rest.

my reviews of these racks can be found here:

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/hit...-rack-roundup/

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/saris-cycle-on-pro

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/thule-t2/

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/yakima-hookup/

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/yakima-holdup/

Turbo Monkey
    That pic is of Luc's rack and the only one that I have seen/heard of that did that. Scary for sure, but it seems VERY isolated. You mentioned another incident, is it someone you know? Pics?

There are LOT of sportworks/thule T2 racks around these parts due to SW being local, and a poineer in this catagory. My T2 is from just prior to the Thule deal (4 y.o??) and is still working perfectly (a bit of rust in places as it is on the car year 'round). It has only two mounts on it normally but I have a third tray for longer road trips. It only hauls 40# DH bikes and I had a 2" custom hitch made for my car as the 1 1/4 is pretty limited. The pin can be removed at any time and is not needed for the rack to function. If you lower the rack a lot, just remove the pin....then it is simple as pulling the lever.

I am certainly not saying that the the tule cannot be improved upon (like all of these racks), but IMO it has a great feature set, the linkage design is superior, and as mentioned above, I have only ever seen or heard of Luc's rack failing....YMMV