Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mushhead

European Downhill Roadtrip

I'm leaving May 15th for a road trip through western Europe. The person I planned to go with bailed last minute, so this will be a solo trip. I'm flying into Munich and renting a van. I plan to focus the area to Germany, Switzerland, Austria, northern Italy, and eastern France. I know there are a lot of bike parks in that area, but I wanted to hear some personal recommendations from anyone who has experience.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Turbo Monkey
    www.mtbfreeride.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked
    ridemonkey is pretty much the 4chan of mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by sethimus View Post
    That's a great offer but not all of the parks there are that good if you want dh only (ie. Winterberg). Personally I think must visit places are WC DH tracks.

Maribor is a must and is a great spot overall. Great dh trail with tons of roots and a great rockgarden to kill your chainring on with some nice bikepark and hidden trails.

Schladming is worth visiting if only for the DH track. It's the best dh track I have ever set my foot on and I think it's the same for many people who ride it. It's steep, fast, technical and fluid.

Leogang is so so. It has some great parts but some incredibely idiotic spots, some outright dangerous ones. Not a well designed track but worth a visit.

Insbruck has a nice, long, difficult track but it's only one track. Look up helmetcams.

I've heard good things about Bad Wildbad DH track.

As for France - Morzine/Chatel/Champery as a whole area. Champery is a good test of your abilities but unless you live there and have time to practice I doubt you will be sessioning it but Morzine has some nice hidden trails.

L2A is not really a dh place. Berms and jumps but not very dh'ish.

Alpe d'huez is known mostly for the megaavalanche but the oisans track is the 2nd best track I know after Schladming. Dusty, fast and simply stupid fun.
    Last edited by norbar; 04-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Two must do's tracks in Germany.

Bad Wildbad:

Probably the most technical track and rocky track in Germany. Bring lots of spare tires if youre not running tubeles

Todtnau:

My personal favorite even though my two worst crashes were on this track, plus a friend of mine had his spleen removed after crashing there.
    Track is super fast and has lots of flow. Small flat part in the beginning but since youre not racing there its no biggie...

If youre into slopestyle I would say Winterberg is worth it, but not for the downhill alone.
    The good part is that the world cup track in Willingen is only 20 minutes away so it might be worth the drive depending on how much time you have.

The whole Portes du Soleil area (Swiss and French Alps) is awesome.
    Last edited by Kevin; 04-28-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Ok so I just looked at the map, Munich is pretty far down.
    How long is your trip? And from where are you going to fly back?
    I might be able to help with the logistics a bit.

Also, theres a bikepark in the east of France called Lac Blanc that is a must do. Cant waitto go back and ride these tracks next week!
    My favorite tracks there:

Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Mushhead
    I will be in Europe until June 26(ish).

Chimp
    In Germany I would suggest Bad Wildbad and maybe Willingen DH-Track, in Austria Schladming and Leogang, in Switzerland Crans Montana and Champery and in France Lac Blanc and Portes du Soleil

lac blanc, france.
    bardonecchia, Motolina bikepark, italy.
    Crans Montana, Verbier, St Luc, switzerland.
    old guys rock.

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    In Germany I would suggest Bad Wildbad and maybe Willingen DH-Track, in Austria Schladming and Leogang, in Switzerland Crans Montana and Champery and in France Lac Blanc and Portes du Soleil
    just stay in the south, bad wildbad, todtnau will be enough. its not worth it to drive to the northern bike parks if you go to the alpes anyway
    www.mtbfreeride.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked
    ridemonkey is pretty much the 4chan of mountain biking

Mushhead
    Cool. Seems as I'm on the same page as everyone else. Maybe a fellow monkey will be around somewhere.

From Muchen its only 2 hours to bikepark Geiskopf in Bischofsmais.
    Havent been there in years but if its still as nice as it was back in the day you should definitly check it out!
    And as a bonus feature, biggest weener schnitzels Ive ever seen...

Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Feel free to get in touch and I can show you some spots. I have more time at the later part of your trip. We have loads of snow up top but there are some hidden gems down in the valleys.

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW View Post
    Feel free to get in touch and I can show you some spots. I have more time at the later part of your trip. We have loads of snow up top but there are some hidden gems down in the valleys.
    You going to be around any of the Euro races this summer? I'm heading over for Val di Sole through Andorra WC and all points in between. 6 weeks w/out chopsticks. Stoked!
    http://www.leetrumporephotography.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dox View Post
    Lee you are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    You going to be around any of the Euro races this summer? I'm heading over for Val di Sole through Andorra WC and all points in between. 6 weeks w/out chopsticks. Stoked!
    Yeah, I was thinking about those two. Let's hook up for a beer and maybe a ride.

hey,

my trip to Lake Garda just got canceled and so now i have next week and half free. i am looking to get into the mtns and ride more enduro type stuff, but down with going downhill fast too. really just trying to get on the bike for the next week.

anyone know of any good riding in the german side of the swiss alps that i could get at alone?

also, im in freiburg, near todtnau and would be down to have beers show you around the area a bit
    Lafayette Bike Park
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Fvck no.
    I want 3-4 seconds of hang time