Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Enduro 29 or other big wheeled aggro trail bikes?

Anybody have any input on the current generation Spec Enduros, in particular the enduro 29? Iíve had my eye on one for a while, but havenít been able to afford one. Iíve read the reviews and it sounds like my cup of tea, but I have some reservations, namely the weird shock link and 142+ wheels. Iím also a little concerned about the kinematics, as it doesnít have a lot of antisquat unless youíre in the 22, which the comp model comes with. Otherwise, it ticks all the boxes, with CCDBaCS compatibility, a great build from the factory, a long front end with nice short chainstays, FSR for active braking, and a pleasant but not dramatic rising rate.

Any other options for big wheeled, long travel bikes that can double as a big trail bike and handle the occasional lift day? Banshee rune or spitfire 650b? Black market roam? I currently have a 650b trail bike, so I could swap some of my components over.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Think you will be pretty limited if you're trying to avoid 142 rear wheel spacing, but I think the Kona Process 111 looks like a killer sled. Although, apparently you're somewhat limited with shock options and I'm not sure how well it would do at a lift serve with 111mm of travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    We don't work from the IMBA handbook. We try to make sustainable where forced but kick ass is really the only guideline we build to.

142+, not 142. 142+ literally adds 2mm to the drive side flange spacing, moving the cassette out, and makes roval hubs compatible only with spec rear ends, though other 142mm hubs fit, roval hubs will not fit on normal bikes. yay

Turbo Monkey
    142x12 is becoming very standard on most new bikes, especially in the category that you're eyeing. I just built myself a Banshee Spitfire 650b with a CCDB CS and will be posting a full ride report once the trails are a bit less swampy up here in the Seattle area. As a fan of 26ers, I think that the 140mm format will complement the slightly larger wheel format quite nicely without feeling ungainly, whereas something like the Enduro 29 is less appealing to me purely because it seems like it would be cumbersome in slow and steep situations.

If you're looking at 29" wheels with bigger travel, the Banshee Prime could be a sweet rig to compare alongside the Enduro. Like jackalope said, the Kona Process 111 seems to be getting incredible reviews at every turn, and I personally would put that at the top of my list if I were looking at a 29er.
    FRS Healthy Energy - The New Science

el scoopo on the poopo.

I look forward to hearing your review. The Kona has a low pivot and even lower anti squats than the Specialized. I love the geo and design, but that's unfortunately out. Also, they use a similar shock yoke.

I like the prime, but the chainstay length has me running for the hills. 29ers are already slightly slower handling than 26ers, throwing big stays on it will make it a dog.

In the 29-inch long travel slacked out world, the Intense Carbine 29 and Niner WFO 9 are also worth a look.

Sammich, never go full enduro.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the new wfo I should check out, I suppose.

jimmy, no time for a full on DHer, but no i won't be doing any races. Just riding this during the week on longer rides, and weekends at lifty places.

I know the feeling - trail & BMX races for me - no DH.

Yeah I'll be psyched if I get out to plattekill at all this year...breaking like 14 years of tradition. I should be out to Jiminy and Highland on occasion though.

How about the Balance? http://canfieldbrothers.com/frames/balance
    $2.1k with a CCDBACS sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    How about the Balance? http://canfieldbrothers.com/frames/balance
    $2.1k with a CCDBACS sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
    Looks soo nice in raw

I should be receiving my Kona Process 111 any day now, I plan on that being my "quiver killer" and only having that mountain bike for the foreseeable future. I know the travel is on the shorter end of the spectrum but I spoke with Mike Levy from Pinkbike, he put in a ton of seat time on the 111 and said it can absolutely handle DH/Park trails.

His review was probably the biggest reason I bought the bike

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Kona-Pr...view-2013.html

Every review I've read has raved about the bike, I can't wait to ride it.

Another bike that is going to come out soon is the Banshee Phantom. The geometry wasn't quite what I saw looking for but it still looks like a killer bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Banshee...tter-2013.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    speak with your wallet, that's all you can do.

I'm preparing to spend some dough on an enduro 29er. I friggin hate specialized's market tactics, I hate their love affair with everything SRAM, and I hate their love of forced obsolescence and proprietary fun, but goddamn, did they make an incredible bike that pushed the boundaries of what any other bike company has done, and when you actually look at it on paper, the still expensive lower end bikes are still a very good deal. So, specialized is going to take my money, hire a few more lawyers, sue a few more tiny bike shops, but I'm going to get a bike that suits my needs, because they actually built something that I want.
    Then why are you buying it? While not see what the competition offers? That exactly the reason why I'm not buying form Spesh and a few other companies. It's strange that you agree that your wallet is your vote on who owns the market yet you vote for the douchebags. There are comparable products to the enduro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Northern VA, where mod/liberals still love their guns
    Specialized has nice marketing, poppy graphics that give the illusion of a truely desireable product. Kinda like iphones.

There are plenty of frames that pedal better, as light, and can be built up with a custom part spec for a comparable price.
    Rides:
    SantaCruz Bronson Carbon | SantaCruz V10 Carbon | KTM 200 XC-W | Specialized P.3

Sponsored by:
    Me