Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Turbo Monkey
    I need more of these green square things^^

DT Swiss ex 500 rims vs 721s...or any other lighter rim

ive ridden 721s forever and the ones I'm on now are about done.I wouldn't mind shedding a little rim weight if I can.

I've looked at Stan's and just don't think they'll hold up.Ive looked at enve's and was about to pull the trigger till one guy at Bootleg said he broke 5 of them at the spoke hole.They replaced them,but still.

I haven't found any real reviews recently on the EX 500s',but the ones I did see where from 2009 and weren't that great.

Any options ,or ideas or than sticking with 721s?They are good rims,just looking.
    **Go ahead and assume that most of what I post is intended as sarcasm,comedy,satirical in intent and most likely nonsense. Presume that we are best friends and I love you like a brother.**

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    My idea is that you should buy some 729s and use the wider tire footprint to go faster to the point that you quit stressing about what your bike weighs in the garage.

And if anyone wants to whine that they ding, remind them that you're comparing them to some DT swiss rims
    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails, numbnuts.

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Turbo Monkey
    Thanks.Great help.
    **Go ahead and assume that most of what I post is intended as sarcasm,comedy,satirical in intent and most likely nonsense. Presume that we are best friends and I love you like a brother.**

Chimp
    I've been riding 721s on-and-off for a few years. Solid rim, and I can't really say anything bad for their weight. I haven't ridden those DT rims; I heard the ones from a few years ago were soft and weren't that good, but the new ones were better...still dented right at the bead, but were designed to dent, not crack. Again, never rode them, so I can't say for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by SCARY View Post
    Thanks.Great help.
    Dude I charge for that shlt locally.
    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails, numbnuts.

Chimp
    Riding Mavic against DT Rims for XC, 4X and DH as well since DT started their rim production, I'm actually building all my wheels with Mavic rims. 717D for 4x and 721 for DH.

At comparable weight Mavic rims last longer and make the better wheel. While DT rims dent all through the line (EX400, EX500, FR600) it's hard to dent a 721...

Monkey
    EX500 + maxxis welter weight tubes. The rims will ding but you will find it pretty hard to get a flat. I managed to make a set last for 2 years before i replaced them, wouldn't have lasted much longer though.

Or just go with 823's and don[t worry about buying a new wheel set for like......ever.

New stans flow EX? Maybe Dartmoor Revolt? E13 also has reasonable weight though it is way pricer than the revolt.

http://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/rims/revolt
    Last edited by norbar; 04-23-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    My idea is that you should buy some 729s and use the wider tire footprint to go faster to the point that you quit stressing about what your bike weighs in the garage.

And if anyone wants to whine that they ding, remind them that you're comparing them to some DT swiss rims
    This should be a default answer to all the DH rim questions

Turbo Monkey
    All rims dent of you bottom onto a rock. If they don't then you either tear the tube or the tire.

It's just a matter of how laterally stiff the rim is, because that is what makes you go fast while cornering and pedaling, and that is also what makes you need to replace the thing generally speaking (the Rim being terribly out of true).

So yeah, is saving 70g worth a less stiff wheel?
    Last edited by marshalolson; 04-23-2013 at 06:56 AM.

what about the Spanks? and Sun MTX? good rims, low cost I do believe.

Turbo Monkey
    I'm scared of super wide rims.I don't think I wanna start experimenting too much with that.

Turbo Monkey
    Gave a set of Spank Spikes to a savage little bastard that rides here. He destroys everything. EVERYTHING. He killed the spanks too, but it took the whole season. Really liked them as well, and they gave the tire a great profile.
    In no way involved in running Dropmachine.com, or what its become.

Quote Originally Posted by SCARY View Post
    I'm scared of super wide rims.I don't think I wanna start experimenting too much with that.
    Nothing that's been recommended so far is a wide rim.

You've just been riding skinny ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Nothing that's been recommended so far is a wide rim.

You've just been riding skinny ones.
    Syntance has wide rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!