Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Droop travel and you

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...66/bturman,109

Is this a valid idea, or just more gobbledygook? I'd think a pound less weight between a spare shock and floater would be better than greater braking traction, but maybe that's the #nextbigthing. Better braking means later braking means going faster for longer...

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    bonus travel!!!
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

I have no idea if the design actually accomplishes its stated goal, but seeing as pretty much all DH bikes have a goodly amount of sag (I used to run my old V10 at 40%), I would think they got the negative travel thing covered for the most part. As for a floater, I think pretty much everyone has figured out how to keep things reasonably active under braking via pivot placement and kinemagics. I mean sh!t, even Kona dropped the braker bar.

EDIT - kinda related comment from mtg regarding braking -

There are always pros and cons. First, leverage curve and anti squat are far more important to the overall ride than brake interaction. And, with where we have the pivot point, the brake interaction is pretty small. Nobody has ever ridden a GG/DH or Megatrail and said "the brake jack sucks". Moving the pivot down onto the chainstay also produces a situation where you have to balance brake interaction with anti-squat and wheel path, which could likely lead to compromises there.

But in other news, still pretty wild to see Foes not only still around, but still making bicycles.
    Last edited by jackalope; 04-11-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    We don't work from the IMBA handbook. We try to make sustainable where forced but kick ass is really the only guideline we build to.

Grasshopper
    Is that in any way similar to Kona's "Magic Link"?

I don't think so. From what I recall from the "Magic Link" (btw, that always reminded me of Trek's "magic stays" on the Liquid) it just changed the geometry whenever it was pointed down or up.
    We don't work from the IMBA handbook. We try to make sustainable where forced but kick ass is really the only guideline we build to.

the magic link was different, almost like have an axle area instead of a path, I think. Never rode one...

this thing sounds like a very undersprung bonus shock that increases negative travel by a ton. It makes sense in a straight line where you never pick up your bike...but you'd never be able to hop anything again.

Hell, even in a straight line it's nice to have the option to pop over stuff. That was one of the downsides of running mega-sag with my V10, it was like trying to get gelatin cranberry sauce to come out of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Hell, even in a straight line it's nice to have the option to pop over stuff. That was one of the downsides of running mega-sag with my V10, it was like trying to get gelatin cranberry sauce to come out of the can.
    but this has two shocks, potentially doubling the number of shims you can have.

Chimp
    I have a feeling, no science or experience to back this up, that the reason trophy trucks have so much sag, is because their center of mass is static. When you're strapped in, there is nothing you can do to weight either tire, or pick up the front or back. And the fact that you can keep the power on over really rough terrain. Anywhere your back wheel would normally leave the ground, you're not pedaling, and you probably don't plan on braking either. I don't see where the extra traction is coming from.

In other news, my sunday felt like a slug with too much sag for my liking, couldn't imagine riding this.

Floating brake? I think we know where Foes goes in the retro vs. modern debate.

Add Monster T fork! it would look nice with brake metal hose

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yd35 View Post
    Floating brake? I think we know where Foes goes in the retro vs. modern debate.
    this is foes we're talking about
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    but this has two shocks, potentially doubling the number of shims you can have.
    MOAR SHIMZ

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked View Post
    this is foes we're talking about
    Ha, I guess it's the equivalent of being surprised when Lindsay Lohan violates her parole.