Chimp

Chipped bone - what shall i do??

took a stupid small fall last weekend and now i have a chipped bone in my thumb. I need surgery and the season just started.

Do I get it done now and let it heal for a month? (I'll have to do some light riding - no drops and no advance/expert trails) OR do i wait til the end of the season and hope it doesn't get worse??

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Monkey
    if its really only a month and you can still ride some, get it fixed now you can probably push the month time period also

if it's not that painful for you i would wait till the season is over then get it fixed.

You need to suck it up and go get it taken care of now. One month isn't sh!t compared to a lot of other things. Trust me, when July rolls around and it's completely healed you'll be glad you did. Otherwise you might be hindered all summer and it could get worse and effect your riding. Take it from someone who has been there more times then i want to remember.
    Attack Life....it's only going to kill you anyway

Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnynails View Post
    You need to suck it up and go get it taken care of now. One month isn't sh!t compared to a lot of other things. Trust me, when July rolls around and it's completely healed you'll be glad you did. Otherwise you might be hindered all summer and it could get worse and effect your riding. Take it from someone who has been there more times then i want to remember.

good call.

Chimp
    good advice jonnynails - i will take it

i can't say i would agree here....

as i've gotten older i've had more surgeries than i care to remember, and more and more the pains i get stay around a lot longer than i care for.

if i were you, i would simply ginger it as much as you can and when you ride, tape it up real good and maybe even wrap it in gauze before taping.

that's just my opinion though, and you do of course run the risk of having a slightly deformed thumb if the bone heals back a little off center.

Quote Originally Posted by rfx_turner View Post
    took a stupid small fall last weekend and now i have a chipped bone in my thumb. I need surgery and the season just started.

Do I get it done now and let it heal for a month? (I'll have to do some light riding - no drops and no advance/expert trails) OR do i wait til the end of the season and hope it doesn't get worse??
    I'm in the same boat right now. I have to have surgery tomorrow morning to move some pieces of bones back in place in my pinkie so I can get full range of motion back to hold onto the handlebars. Docs are saying I won't be able to race until July! It sucks missing races, but its gotta happen. Good luck with your thumb. You should most definitely get it taken care of ASAP.
    Last edited by motomike; 05-13-2008 at 09:35 AM.

heal up sooner. the body doesn't like it when the parts are broken for a long time.
    "Wa pa pa pa pa pa pow!"
    ~The Fox

Chimp
    thanks motomike - good luck with the surgery