Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bombproof Wheels under $300.00

I bought my 1st freeride bike in December. A new 04 Stinky. The Deore hubs suck (I broke the front axle into 3 pieces yesterday on a 5' drop to flat). The 321's are questionable. I need a new set of wheels, and found some 05 DeeMax's for $525.00, but can't use the front because my Drop Off Triples are "throughaxleless". I'm not ready to buy a JuniorT, so, I need some "skewered" wheels. People have suggested Azonic Outlaws. Any monkeys wanna share their experience with a newbie.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad

Outlaws.

Good call on the Azonics. Burly rims, and the hubs are convertable so no matter what fork system you run you will have a wheelset that wont leave you high and dry.

Yeah I've been running the Azonic Outlaws for 6 months now and they'll holding up great. The back wheel lost half it's spokes when a 3" stick went through it but it didn't damage the hub or rim. Laced it back up and it's running great.

the 321's are good rims, if they are still good lace the front to a new hub, get one that converts from qr to 20mm like other people have said, it will save you money when you upgrade the fork.

White Rock, British Columbia ... more millionairs per capita than anywhere else in Canada
    i thought the deemax wheelset was convertable
    So many bikes!

Go with the outlaws, i'm running them with stans this season on my Turner DHR, I don't have any time on them yet but I hear they're solid and they look the part.

The 321 rims may hold up for awhile if you build them back up, but i don't think they will be as tough as the outlaws. These are the weaker XM321 not the D321 remember. (The D321 is an incredible rim by the way, I've had my D321 wheels for years and they still are perfect)

suv's are on sale at supergo for 350...if you're not running 20mm I have a brand new QR for sale.

what about Sun Power Tools/Sun Freeride Wheelset are they any good???

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyboy
    The Deore hubs suck (I broke the front axle into 3 pieces yesterday on a 5' drop to flat).
    Drops to flat = broken sh*t. Get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohio View Post
    Which would allow me to touch myself with my bad hand. That's why I call it my "bad hand." Because it's very very bad.

na man the dee maxes arent convertable why would they need to be. there made for dh racing and to be hucked off 30 foot cliffs and still hold up. ohh and thats to flat too
    its always easier to ask for forgivness then it is to ask for permission...

Quote Originally Posted by Discostu
    Go with the outlaws, i'm running them with stans this season on my Turner DHR, I don't have any time on them yet but I hear they're solid and they look the part.

The 321 rims may hold up for awhile if you build them back up, but i don't think they will be as tough as the outlaws. These are the weaker XM321 not the D321 remember. (The D321 is an incredible rim by the way, I've had my D321 wheels for years and they still are perfect)
    The outlaws he has were my race wheels from last year and they were bommer! I took them off for the notorious rocky courses and also full days at whistler, but use i put them through i only had to tension them a few times. Also i only had to clean the hub once. outlwas are a great deal for the $$.

The front hub on the Deemax IS convertible. It comes with 2 sets of adapters-one for 110x20mm through-axle and one for 100x9mm quick-release axle. I had a pair and ran them on a Z1 with standard drop-outs and a Super T with 20mm drop-outs.

www.unviersalcyles.com

i got a atomlab set from them for 225, hand built. They are (the web site) the best in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mack
    www.unviersalcyles.com

i got a atomlab set from them for 225, hand built. They are (the web site) the best in my opinion.
    It would help if you could spell the link right :nuts:

www.universalcycles.com

ohh well i didnt know that thanks dogboy. what about the rear though can i get them with a 12mm thru axel or do they just come with the 10mm
    its always easier to ask for forgivness then it is to ask for permission...