Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monkey

Anyone one use the Exogen 4000 Bone Healing system?

Since I broke my ankle I was looking into these things. Most people say they made them heal much faster and they're especially good for schapoid injuries that are stubborn to heal.

I did read one complaint where a guy said it hurt to use and made him black and blue. ...Also he said he had pins and plates.

I have a couple pins, so I'm wondering if it only works on non surgical fractures? Have any of you guys used one of these?

Check them out here.

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/ABOUT_EXOGEN_7227.htm

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Bone Growth stimulators are designed to mimic the low level radio freq that broken bone emits to encourage increased blood flow the injury site. The smith and nephew device is the only one that uses ultrasound technology as opposed to pulsed radio freq's.

The problem with the exogen is that it has to be applied directly to the skin and therefore windowed through the cast if there is one. All others work with radio waves so are less invasive and messy.

As you have probably guessed I am in medical device sales and sell a bone stim made by Orthologic. 30 minutes a day application as opposed to the others that require a lot more time.

The reason they are good for scaphoid fx's is that the scaphoid has a low blood supply naturally so doesn't heal that well. The bone stim can help with this.

Bone stims are used with any non healing or surgically repaired bone.

I see you live in TO, my territory covers SLO to Camarillo, what dr are you seeing?

i used something similar (more hi tech industrial type version) when i snapped my ankle, but although i never had a true "cast" i wasn't able to use it until i started my physical therapy. I've heard good things about 'em from some people... but i personally never really saw a vast improvement. it's most likely because my ankle was so severely jacked up that it took extra long for things to heal (i had about 9 screws & a long plate installed), so even if it sped things up... i really didn't notice.

it never bruised me up... but turn it up too high & you get some interesting muscle twinges!
    DOWNLOAD the ARMA ENERGY MTB Team Mobile APP FREE for your PHONE or TABLET on the App Store for iOS, Google Play for Androids, or click here!

it works with collerbones.

Turbo Monkey
    I asked my Orthopedic surgen about it last year when I broke my Fibula. He said that he often used them with elite athletes (as in high paid pro basketball and football). He claimed that it would cut the healing time in half. For me, that would have taken it from 6-8 weeks to 3 weeks. The price: $3-5k. It was tempting but not worth it since I didn't ask about it until after 2 weeks. The reason that I asked about it was that my bone had not reconnected and I could still feel it moving. I was worried it wasn't healing. The Ortho convinced me that it was normal. The only thing I did was follow his advice of a big calcium suplement (TMI, but you will only crap about twice a week) and getting a lot of sleep. I started rehab'ing it at about 5 weeks following his advice.

I was near 100% bone structure in 6 weeks. I actually rode my MX bike 6 weeks to the day after I broke it at the US Open. Straight from the Ortho's office to the track. Took me another 4 weeks to get on the DH bike due to the lack of support in my shoes.

I think I made the correct choice to save the cash. Now if your not healing or are looking at a much longer recovery, I would consider it if you have the $$$.
    Chris Kring

Team High Gear Racing
    www.highgearracing.com

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKring View Post
    I asked my Orthopedic surgen about it last year when I broke my Fibula. He said that he often used them with elite athletes (as in high paid pro basketball and football). He claimed that it would cut the healing time in half. For me, that would have taken it from 6-8 weeks to 3 weeks. The price: $3-5k. It was tempting but not worth it since I didn't ask about it until after 2 weeks. The reason that I asked about it was that my bone had not reconnected and I could still feel it moving. I was worried it wasn't healing. The Ortho convinced me that it was normal. The only thing I did was follow his advice of a big calcium suplement (TMI, but you will only crap about twice a week) and getting a lot of sleep. I started rehab'ing it at about 5 weeks following his advice.

I was near 100% bone structure in 6 weeks. I actually rode my MX bike 6 weeks to the day after I broke it at the US Open. Straight from the Ortho's office to the track. Took me another 4 weeks to get on the DH bike due to the lack of support in my shoes.

I think I made the correct choice to save the cash. Now if your not healing or are looking at a much longer recovery, I would consider it if you have the $$$.
    Sweet I just picked one up on ebay for $200! Now I should be back in a month.

For the rest of you cripples, ebay has a few more...

Forgot, Did you have pins or metal in your leg when the doctor told you this?
    Last edited by Alloy; 06-08-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Do not buy from Ebay. These things are not reusable and once they are activated they will work for a limited time then be no good anymore. BAsically once you turn it on for the first time you have about six months of usage before it is useless.

A bone stim will be paid for by your insurance when their is documented (X-rays) of the non-union for more than 90 days. They are meant to help with people who are not healing.

If you are healing I wouldn't worry about it.

Please don't buy that thing off ebay, it is probably waaaay expired and won't do you any good.

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D. big-ted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
    Do not buy from Ebay. These things are not reusable and once they are activated they will work for a limited time then be no good anymore. BAsically once you turn it on for the first time you have about six months of usage before it is useless.

A bone stim will be paid for by your insurance when their is documented (X-rays) of the non-union for more than 90 days. They are meant to help with people who are not healing.

If you are healing I wouldn't worry about it.

Please don't buy that thing off ebay, it is probably waaaay expired and won't do you any good.
    Interesting stuff. Care to elaborate on why they have limited useful lifespan? Are they powered from some non-replaceable battery? I can't see why an RF transmitter wouldn't continue to be such providing it continues to have power...

it is a propriatery manufacturing thing. The device is intended to be worn at the same time every day for 6 months. (keep in mind, these are "intended" to heal people whose bodies aren't doing it for them, not speed up those whose bodies are).

By putting the device on the same time every day you are basically supplimenting your bodies healing process and giving it a kick start.

The device is a single patient use, as is the majority of medical devices and once it is turned on a timer starts a count down. It is meant for the user to whom it was prescribed and that is all. It is not meant to be shared as it is a medical device that requires the monitoring of a physician.

These things do have contraindications that make it necessary for your dr to be aware that you are using one.

On another note, the ultrasound technology is heat generating. HEating up metal in your body can be uncomfortable. I am not familiar enough with the exogen system to know how they handle it but it could be why your buddy had bruising.

forgot to add. by buying a used one you have no idea when it was started and therefore have no idea how much life is left in it.

These things really work when used with discipline, once or twice a week or every day for two weeks - month will not really do anything for you.

Without getting into the details of O.R.I.F's osteocytes, osteoblasts and cascading effects just trust me. Buying medical devices off ebay equals really bad idea.

Monkey
    I used boiron homeopathic medicine called symphytum oficinale. I can't tell if it works yet but it cut the healing time for my friend in half. s
    selling fox 40 rc2 $1000+T1 bmx frame $200 check the classifieds

Monkey
    it is a propriatery manufacturing thing. The device is intended to be worn at the same time every day for 6 months. (keep in mind, these are "intended" to heal people whose bodies aren't doing it for them, not speed up those whose bodies are).

By putting the device on the same time every day you are basically supplimenting your bodies healing process and giving it a kick start.

The device is a single patient use, as is the majority of medical devices and once it is turned on a timer starts a count down. It is meant for the user to whom it was prescribed and that is all. It is not meant to be shared as it is a medical device that requires the monitoring of a physician.

These things do have contraindications that make it necessary for your dr to be aware that you are using one.

On another note, the ultrasound technology is heat generating. HEating up metal in your body can be uncomfortable. I am not familiar enough with the exogen system to know how they handle it but it could be why your buddy had bruising.

forgot to add. by buying a used one you have no idea when it was started and therefore have no idea how much life is left in it.

These things really work when used with discipline, once or twice a week or every day for two weeks - month will not really do anything for you.

Without getting into the details of O.R.I.F's osteocytes, osteoblasts and cascading effects just trust me. Buying medical devices off ebay equals really bad idea.
    My medical choices are usually questionable. But if you never try it you'll never know. So if I have a chance at salvaging some riding this summer I'll take it!

... are you specifically talking about the Exogen 4000?

I did do some reading and found out they have 300 to 400 uses and have a indicator to show how much they have been used up. I didn't see anything about a timer. Most of the ones on ebay state how much they have been used. Some say they have been tested and are working. Also I heard this is the only one that works on fresh bone fractures.

But whatever... it's 2008 it's about fcking time they came out with something that speeds up healing!

it is the only one that is FDA approved for fresh fx's. They all do the same thing in different ways but the FDA chose this one for fresh fx's. They chose another one for cervical bone healing. They all do the same thing in just different ways.

I wish you luck, I just would set your expectations low. How long have you had a fx? When was it pinned compared to broken?

In regards to the timer. It isn't something published, it is a business thing that device manufactures do so that there isn't just one bone stim floating around that people keep passing around when they need it. We want to sell more of them!

good luck

Monkey
    it is the only one that is FDA approved for fresh fx's. They all do the same thing in different ways but the FDA chose this one for fresh fx's. They chose another one for cervical bone healing. They all do the same thing in just different ways.

I wish you luck, I just would set your expectations low. How long have you had a fx? When was it pinned compared to broken?

In regards to the timer. It isn't something published, it is a business thing that device manufactures do so that there isn't just one bone stim floating around that people keep passing around when they need it. We want to sell more of them!

good luck
    Yeah you medical guys are pretty shady:biggrin:

I broke it a week ago from today. Had surgery last Tuesday... I had 3 fractures, two needed pins, one didn't. So if it doesn't work with pins, at least I'll have it for the one that has no metal. If it doesn't turn on, I'm sending it back!

I'll let you know if it works. ...I just have this quest to figure out how top athletes heal so fast. No one seems to want to talk about their special methods that aren't available to the public.

You could sell it to SMT when you'e done with it.
    Craig Kelly is my copilot. MediaTurbo Product Marketing and PhotoTurbo Product Photographer

no worries. There are lots of things that top athletes do to heal quick. Really aggressive PT is one of them. Taking things to a point past where most people quit. To be quite honest Bone Stim is not on the short list.

If you want a crash course take a look at this article on Dennis Dixon of the ducks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...xon/index.html

You have to approach your healing the same way you approach your training which in the eyes of elite athletes is all or nothing.

Good luck with your break. If you are a relatively healthy individual and don't do anything to compromise the healing (smoking, obesity, excessive drinking etc) you should be just fine.