Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Any Tuf Rack Users?

So I am looking at maybe getting a commuter car so the Powerstroke can kick it and I can work different hours. I am gonna go the hitch mount way and was debating what rack to get. Anyone using the Tuf Rack and if so what are your thoughts?

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    My friend has one.

Thoughts? Well, its burly. I know I wouldn't put it on a car... Its a big rack. Other than that, the times we've used it, it has worked as expected and held the bikes securely. It might not be as quick to secure the bikes to it with the straps, but they are secure once strapped down and won't be going anywhere.

On the plus side, if some doucheknob rear ends you, the rack will probably puncture the front of their car.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    So I am looking at maybe getting a commuter car so the Powerstroke can kick it and I can work different hours. I am gonna go the hitch mount way and was debating what rack to get. Anyone using the Tuf Rack and if so what are your thoughts?
    I had one on my FJ. Had for 3 seasons, looked the same as day one, when I finally sold truck and rack.

Pros:

Tough

Stores easy

Cons: ( Add ( $ ) to the cost of purchase )

Ships from CA. = duty fees, which amount to more than what free shipping covers.

Hitch pins w/clips ( Swap for locking hitch pins = $ )

Bike security - No locking device ( nothing a cable lock can't fix = $ )

A little play in receiver, if not weighed down from bikes can rattle and be annoying on the less smooth roads.

Overall good, tough, simple. looks and performs the way a DOWNHILL rack should.

I also suggest cutting a frame pad in half and putting on top tube where strap will secure. This will avoid wear in paint when ratcheting down straps.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-04-2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Dirt

Okay thanks guys. Yeah the pad sounds like a good idea. I am only gonna get the 2 bike variety. My problem is my 7.3 uses a 2" receiver and the commute car I can only find 11/4" so I will need the adapter to go from 2" down. I am still waiting to hear what this will cost. Have the ability to get a MOTO tray is a bonus once our son starts riding and if we don't want to take truck....

Okay thanks guys. Yeah the pad sounds like a good idea. I am only gonna get the 2 bike variety. My problem is my 7.3 uses a 2" receiver and the commute car I can only find 11/4" so I will need the adapter to go from 2" down. I am still waiting to hear what this will cost. Have the ability to get a MOTO tray is a bonus once our son starts riding and if we don't want to take truck....

I also forgot to mention the rack sits low. Didn't affect the FJ ( SUV ) which sat high. However my reason for selling was I now have a Mazda cx9 ( Crossover ) and bottomed out the rack entering / exiting my driveway. So if you're using it on a commuter car, you would need to consider the clearance issue.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-04-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Dirt

Get a 1UP

If it were myself, I'd go with a lighter rack if it will be used on a 1 1/4 inch hitch receiver. A hitch adapter will only set the rack out further from your car, allowing more leverage to be put on the hitch. Don't know if I'd fully trust the strength of a small receiver with that big ass rack hanging off of it. I know I wouldn't be following behind your car on a bumpy road...haha

Quote Originally Posted by canadmos View Post
    If it were myself, I'd go with a lighter rack if it will be used on a 1 1/4 inch hitch receiver. A hitch adapter will only set the rack out further from your car, allowing more leverage to be put on the hitch. Don't know if I'd fully trust the strength of a small receiver with that big ass rack hanging off of it. I know I wouldn't be following behind your car on a bumpy road...haha
    Yeah rack would be 40LBS with 2 trays and each bike would be 40 so 120LBS total. The receiver for the Toyota car is a Class 2 so in theory it has a 350LBS tongue weight. The low Class 1 is rated at 200LBS....

Does it have alot of play? The road here is rough a car wont make it the Powerstroke would be used for that.....

Seriously get a 1UP. Its light and so flipping awesome.

Chimp
    How about a NSR2 or maybe a yakima jacknife?

The tuff rack is ot of rack to be on a small comuter!

Quote Originally Posted by Kntr View Post
    this. I've had mine a season and a half now and it's great. It gets used for road trips instead of other people's racks beause it's so awesome. Quick to use, versatile (1 tray or 2 tray - 24" to 29" wheels easily), tilts away so you can get in the hatch, light-ish, solid. I love mine.

Just to add another option.. I have a Kuat NV on my Golf and I love it(since last summer). I've had a Thule T2 in the past on other cars(got rear-ended which killed it), the Kuat seemes like much better quality and more solid. You can also swap between a 2" and 1 1/4" reciever pretty easily if you need to(they sell a nice adapter that doesn't move the rack away from the car or anything). It also has a nice little mechanism in the hitch mount that can get rid of any play between the hitch and the rack.
    Last edited by captainspauldin; 05-05-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    don't fvck around with an adapter. find a hitch and trailer shop, have them cut out the 1-1/4" receiver and weld in a 2" to whatever hitch you get. that's what i had done for my impreza.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Monkey
    Never heard of those racks. Looks like someone made it in there garage using left over meccano bits. I don't know why anyone chooses to use anything but Sportworks (now Thule) racks.
    banj

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by banj View Post
    Never heard of those racks. Looks like someone made it in there garage using left over meccano bits. I don't know why anyone chooses to use anything but Sportworks (now Thule) racks.
    no mention of a warranty whatsoever.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt