Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, the EV3 would probably be just right. As long as it has more trunk space than the Kona. A buddy of mine has the Kona, and it's just that little bit too small for our weekly needs....
Pre-2024 Kona? 2024 redone one seems to have grown. And looks a lot better imo, in a robot-style way.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
To me it looks like there is a structure a structure in the picture that I would consider is a frame? I would never expect the panel to be anything but a cover of the actual structure?

I know hating Tesla is cool these days but fake news is not cool.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm no engineer, but isn't that by design? I thought the steel panels were supposed to be structural?
If they are structural I would hope they wouldn't pop off like that.
To me it looks like there is a structure a structure in the picture that I would consider is a frame? I would never expect the panel to be anything but a cover of the actual structure?

I know hating Tesla is cool these days but fake news is not cool.
at the intro event it was said it was going to be a monocoque

but ultimately it's not, so the panels are indeed not structural.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Saw one of these things last night.

Looks like the stay puffed marshmallow man left a turd on the street.

Yo @Pesqueeb! You replaced the front sway bar links on that CX-5 of yours? If so... was it as easy as the videos seem to indicate?

ETA: local shop wants $250 to replace them... which seems a bit high from the looks of the procedure...
Front shocks and brakes and what have you, but that actual job, no. I can't imagine it's difficult.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
at the intro event it was said it was going to be a monocoque

but ultimately it's not, so the panels are indeed not structural.

With the exception of most trucks and probably some Chrylser products all cars today are of monocoque or unibody construction.

That being said rear quarter panels are usually part of the structure but not always. As they are the most commonly damaged you want those easily replaced not to mention not compromising structural integrity from denting a fender. The external parts of the car that are part of the unibody are the pillars, roof, and believe it or not, the windshield.

1715911374486.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
With the exception of most trucks and probably some Chrylser products all cars today are of monocoque or unibody construction.
the only Chrysler product these days is the Pacifica. which is definitely unibody.

for all my (body on frame) Land Cruiser's various traits, I can't fault its road isolation abilities. even with KO2s no doubt thrumming away at the road surface barely any makes it up into the cabin.

the Town Car/Crown Vic was the last body on frame car proper.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

In my experience car batteries last 5 years. I am pushing 6 years on mine so I should probably start parking in places where I can roll downhill and pop start the thing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yo @Pesqueeb! You replaced the front sway bar links on that CX-5 of yours? If so... was it as easy as the videos seem to indicate?

ETA: local shop wants $250 to replace them... which seems a bit high from the looks of the procedure...
Provided they aren't corroded to hell, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes per corner once the tire is off.

In my experience car batteries last 5 years. I am pushing 6 years on mine so I should probably start parking in places where I can roll downhill and pop start the thing.
7 years for my truck batteries. Load test last year showed they are still good, but I'm sure the day will come when they are suddenly not so.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I drove a rental Polestar 2 up the coast this week. I thought it drove… like a car. It felt similar to my mazda 3. It was quicker off the line but I was driving within the limits and not trying to be a racer boi. The big ipad as the control for most things wasn’t the best design. It wasn’t immediately intuitive for me, and for my passenger who isn’t used to car stuff was utterly lost. They seem to have gone for style over functionality here. The navigation was not good either… “stay left at the y” was their way of saying “stay on the freeway and don’t take that tiny exit” on one occasion. I enjoyed the feel of the front of the car and the driving position. It felt a little short on height. The rear hatch/trunk and folding seats were great. It was easy to throw the bike in there. The looks were decidedly stormtrooper for better or worse. And compared to the size of other cars in spain, it was big! Street parking was tricky and visibility out the back was poor. The quiet of the car was great. Otherwise, don’t have much to say about it. It felt like a car. It wasn’t an amazing life-changing experience that the marketing makes them out to be. And I never had to charge the thing… only went 150kms. I think it would be cool if more cars were electric and there was the infrastructure to go along with it.

IMG_0732.jpeg
IMG_0739.jpeg
IMG_0747.jpeg

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't watched Matt here in probably years, man he's gone full plaid.

He's not wrong. I've never watched him before, but I totally agree with him on his take. As a person who has basically owned a truck since I was 21, there is a level of expectation I have with them and this thing fails on so many levels.

But ironically it is perfect for the target audience.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I drove a rental Polestar 2 up the coast this week. I thought it drove… like a car. It felt similar to my mazda 3. It was quicker off the line but I was driving within the limits and not trying to be a racer boi. The big ipad as the control for most things wasn’t the best design. It wasn’t immediately intuitive for me, and for my passenger who isn’t used to car stuff was utterly lost. They seem to have gone for style over functionality here. The navigation was not good either… “stay left at the y” was their way of saying “stay on the freeway and don’t take that tiny exit” on one occasion. I enjoyed the feel of the front of the car and the driving position. It felt a little short on height. The rear hatch/trunk and folding seats were great. It was easy to throw the bike in there. The looks were decidedly stormtrooper for better or worse. And compared to the size of other cars in spain, it was big! Street parking was tricky and visibility out the back was poor. The quiet of the car was great. Otherwise, don’t have much to say about it. It felt like a car. It wasn’t an amazing life-changing experience that the marketing makes them out to be. And I never had to change the thing… only went 150kms. I think it would be cool if more cars were electric and there was the infrastructure to go along with it.

View attachment 212006View attachment 212007View attachment 212008
Thanks for the review. That's on my list of potential next cars but I really don't want a tablet car, and that certainly is one.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I drove a rental Polestar 2 up the coast this week. I thought it drove… like a car. It felt similar to my mazda 3. It was quicker off the line but I was driving within the limits and not trying to be a racer boi. The big ipad as the control for most things wasn’t the best design. It wasn’t immediately intuitive for me, and for my passenger who isn’t used to car stuff was utterly lost. They seem to have gone for style over functionality here. The navigation was not good either… “stay left at the y” was their way of saying “stay on the freeway and don’t take that tiny exit” on one occasion. I enjoyed the feel of the front of the car and the driving position. It felt a little short on height. The rear hatch/trunk and folding seats were great. It was easy to throw the bike in there. The looks were decidedly stormtrooper for better or worse. And compared to the size of other cars in spain, it was big! Street parking was tricky and visibility out the back was poor. The quiet of the car was great. Otherwise, don’t have much to say about it. It felt like a car. It wasn’t an amazing life-changing experience that the marketing makes them out to be. And I never had to change the thing… only went 150kms. I think it would be cool if more cars were electric and there was the infrastructure to go along with it.

I'm still strongly considering the 2 year lease due to total lack of commitment. If I was more secure in my job, I think I would. I'm still on the fence, though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I drove a rental Polestar 2 up the coast this week. I thought it drove… like a car. It felt similar to my mazda 3. It was quicker off the line but I was driving within the limits and not trying to be a racer boi. The big ipad as the control for most things wasn’t the best design. It wasn’t immediately intuitive for me, and for my passenger who isn’t used to car stuff was utterly lost. They seem to have gone for style over functionality here. The navigation was not good either… “stay left at the y” was their way of saying “stay on the freeway and don’t take that tiny exit” on one occasion. I enjoyed the feel of the front of the car and the driving position. It felt a little short on height. The rear hatch/trunk and folding seats were great. It was easy to throw the bike in there. The looks were decidedly stormtrooper for better or worse. And compared to the size of other cars in spain, it was big! Street parking was tricky and visibility out the back was poor. The quiet of the car was great. Otherwise, don’t have much to say about it. It felt like a car. It wasn’t an amazing life-changing experience that the marketing makes them out to be. And I never had to charge the thing… only went 150kms. I think it would be cool if more cars were electric and there was the infrastructure to go along with it.

Pretty sure that's already made in China and imported, look it up.

Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Modular_Architecture_platform

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pretty sure that's already made in China and imported, look it up.

Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Modular_Architecture_platform
it's going to be interesting to see what happens to it and the EX30 with this new tariff regime. the EX30 was supposed to get a tariff waiver due to Volvo exporting PHEVs from SC.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Rock rode into the annual rodeo he inexplicably hosts in the bed of the Cybertruck, with John Schneider — Bo Duke himself — behind the wheel. The truck faithfully replicates nearly everything about the original show’s Charger, same one crucial element: The roof. Rock may have flown the Confederate flag at his shows for years, but apparently sticking one on the Cybertruck would be a bridge too far.