Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A second Boeing whistleblower has died. Josh Dean, a former mechanical engineer and quality auditor at Spirit AeroSystems, had flagged a manufacturing defect in a pressure bulkhead of the 737 MAX. He died Tuesday, two weeks after suddenly taking ill, being intubated and confined to the ICU. He filed a formal complaint against Boeing last year.

Dean's death comes two months after a separate Boeing whistleblower was found dead in his car from a gunshot wound to the head. John Barnett was due to appear for day 3 of depositions but never showed. His body, and a gun in his hand, were eventually found in a parking garage. I'm not aware of any surveillance video showing him driving there that day.

I'd say they're dropping like flies, but it's probably closer to say that they are "dropping like parts from a Boeing".

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The fucked up reentry heat shield...
not to mention

Starliner’s setbacks
Boeing’s space division operates separately from its commercial airline team, and officials at NASA and the US aerospace giant have routinely sought to make that distinction.
NASA officials have also made clear they are working more closely with Boeing than ever, with personnel on the ground at Boeing facilities overseeing some of the fixes the company has put in place ahead of the upcoming Starliner flight.
“This is an important capability for NASA. We signed up to go do this, and we’re gonna go do it and be successful at it,” Nappi said Thursday. “I don’t think of it in terms of what’s important for Boeing as much as I think of it as in terms of what’s important for this program.”
Still, Boeing and NASA have had a long list of issues to address.
During the last flight test in 2022, for example, engineers found that the suspension lines on the Starliner’s parachute had a lower threshold for failure than initially expected.
NASA and Boeing engineers tested a fix for that issue earlier this year, but parachutes will remain top of mind as they work through some last-minute checkouts before liftoff, Stich said Thursday.
Some tape that was also used to protect wiring harnesses was found to be flammable, and Boeing had to remove and replace about a mile’s worth of the material, according to Nappi.
Boeing may even need to implement a redesign of some of the spacecraft’s valves because of corrosion issues. That upgrade, however, is not expected to be in place until the second crewed flight, slated for 2025, at the earliest.
On May’s inaugural crewed flight, Boeing will instead use a “perfectly acceptable mitigation” that should prevent the valves from sticking, Nappi said in March.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
not to mention

Starliner’s setbacks
Boeing’s space division operates separately from its commercial airline team, and officials at NASA and the US aerospace giant have routinely sought to make that distinction.
NASA officials have also made clear they are working more closely with Boeing than ever, with personnel on the ground at Boeing facilities overseeing some of the fixes the company has put in place ahead of the upcoming Starliner flight.
“This is an important capability for NASA. We signed up to go do this, and we’re gonna go do it and be successful at it,” Nappi said Thursday. “I don’t think of it in terms of what’s important for Boeing as much as I think of it as in terms of what’s important for this program.”
Still, Boeing and NASA have had a long list of issues to address.
During the last flight test in 2022, for example, engineers found that the suspension lines on the Starliner’s parachute had a lower threshold for failure than initially expected.
NASA and Boeing engineers tested a fix for that issue earlier this year, but parachutes will remain top of mind as they work through some last-minute checkouts before liftoff, Stich said Thursday.
Some tape that was also used to protect wiring harnesses was found to be flammable, and Boeing had to remove and replace about a mile’s worth of the material, according to Nappi.
Boeing may even need to implement a redesign of some of the spacecraft’s valves because of corrosion issues. That upgrade, however, is not expected to be in place until the second crewed flight, slated for 2025, at the earliest.
On May’s inaugural crewed flight, Boeing will instead use a “perfectly acceptable mitigation” that should prevent the valves from sticking, Nappi said in March.
"Should".

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
So,at this point Pesqueeb,safe to say you do not want want any Fat People on a plane. You have made this point many times. Get over it. Why don’t you talk about how any Boing plane at this point is more of a problem? They are all in Bed together. Why does that Not make you more upset? Or that Regan made it so they can never close their doors?

Avy

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i find it funny that the trip to california i will be cancelling has been rescheduled atleast 3 times and my flight to denver zero....

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
So,at this point Pesqueeb,safe to say you do not want want any Fat People on a plane. You have made this point many times. Get over it. Why don’t you talk about how any Boing plane at this point is more of a problem? They are all in Bed together. Why does that Not make you more upset? Or that Regan made it so they can never close their doors?

Avy
Brain is a little foggy from too much Cornas and not enough sleep, but I didn’t see any fat-bashing in any of that.

Seemed like both flights were able to be evacuated without injury, which is a pleasant surprise.

I am not convinced that in an emergency evacuation a 737 (typical PDX-ORD flight for me) full of able-bodied Muricans could be emptied in less than 15 minutes. I figure it”d be morelike typical deplaning. A bunch of self important DBs stepping on each other to get out first. Thus, my “pleasant surprise” at the Seatle video. It looked like everyone got out in about 5 minutes!

Can’t wait for that flight home on Friday afternoon…

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Avy
And you've made it abundantly clear that reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits. I have posted multiple times, in this thread and possibly others, that "Boeing killed those people". I'm not sure how one can be more critical than implying that they are guilty of murder for profit. I've also stated I don't even know how many God damned times, that obesity in the air is a safety issue. I've posted multiple links of studies, legislation, and regulation that acknowledge this phenomenon and seek to address it and yet you clearly continue to not understand or continue to be willfully ignorant to the safety concerns presented.

Brain is a little foggy from too much Cornas and not enough sleep, but I didn’t see any fat-bashing in any of that.

Seemed like both flights were able to be evacuated without injury, which is a pleasant surprise.

I am not convinced that in an emergency evacuation a 737 (typical PDX-ORD flight for me) full of able-bodied Muricans could be emptied in less than 15 minutes. I figure it”d be morelike typical deplaning. A bunch of self important DBs stepping on each other to get out first. Thus, my “pleasant surprise” at the Seatle video. It looked like everyone got out in about 5 minutes!

Can’t wait for that flight home on Friday afternoon…
Brother Avy has taken personal umbridge with statements I've made in the past about airline safety and how the "larger" flying public effects it. I'm willing to acknowledge that some of the things I've said have been, well, less than elegant and most purposefully so. But the fact remains that today's aircraft are not designed for today's reality and flying public. This in part is what Mrs Duckworths legislation attempts to address. Almost as if regulators and manufacturers acknowledge this issue. This is "heavily" implied in the NPR story. Responses like Avys and the general flying public are a perfect example of why this issue has to be danced around and spoken of in hushed or coded tones because God for-fucking-bid that we acknowledge the reality that oversized persons might just in fact get you killed in an aircraft emergency. Feels before reals.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
And you've made it abundantly clear that reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits. I have posted multiple times, in this thread and possibly others, that "Boeing killed those people". I'm not sure how one can be more critical than implying that they are guilty of murder for profit. I've also stated I don't even know how many God damned times, that obesity in the air is a safety issue. I've posted multiple links of studies, legislation, and regulation that acknowledge this phenomenon and seek to address it and yet you clearly continue to not understand or continue to be willfully ignorant to the safety concerns presented.

Brother Avy has taken personal umbridge with statements I've made in the past about airline safety and how the "larger" flying public effects it. I'm willing to acknowledge that some of the things I've said have been, well, less than elegant and most purposefully so. But the fact remains that today's aircraft are not designed for today's reality and flying public. This in part is what Mrs Duckworths legislation attempts to address. Almost as if regulators and manufacturers acknowledge this issue. This is "heavily" implied in the NPR story. Responses like Avys and the general flying public are a perfect example of why this issue has to be danced around and spoken of in hushed or coded tones because God for-fucking-bid that we acknowledge the reality that oversized persons might just in fact get you killed in an aircraft emergency. Feels before reals.
Pesqueeb,I would like to say I am sorry for not explaining my thoughts correctly. I am aware of what you talk about on Boeing,sorry. I said that completely wrong.

I am also aware you are in the Industry. I am aware of Fat people on a plane, and aware of how much of a corcern for saftey to passengers that it is. I think that is 1 Factor of Many,that will be a Problem when the time is up to get the Fuck Out! If the Plane is Full of Fat People,which it is not,Avy would understand this more?

I was hoping you would think, “I made my point”.

I am an Airline Brat. Father,50 years TWA/Sadia,Wifes Father,at least 50 United. He is a Legend amoungst United Folk. Harold his name,I was the only Man he liked dating his Daughter. Died too soon. I buried both of them,Harold and Gladys.

I Love Airplanes,my favorite smell is Jet Fuel. So Know I am always on Top of Airline,Boeing crazy ass shit going down in this Industry. I mean no dis respect.

Avy