Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting cable routing for the rear triangle. Can't recall seeing a set up like that.
My canfield basically has that exact arrangement. The frame looks way different, but the cables basically take the same route.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The benefit of SAR springs is they guarantee ~1.5% accuracy and they now include the tested spring rate of the spring they ship you.
SAR has become really expensive for euros since brexit but yes they were good before the certificate and are even better now

Interesting cable routing for the rear triangle. Can't recall seeing a set up like that.
Santa cruz is kind of similar

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks. Not a fan of the pivot point, but nobody asked me. I enjoy shorter travel and wonder if we'll see a swing back away from 165mm enduro bikes for everything. Seems like the Optics and etc. are just as capable when ridden well.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks. Not a fan of the pivot point, but nobody asked me. I enjoy shorter travel and wonder if we'll see a swing back away from 165mm enduro bikes for everything. Seems like the Optics and etc. are just as capable when ridden well.
I now have a few rides on my 2023 Optic. I also love short travel bikes (and hardtails, for that matter) and I can confirm the Optic is indeed very capable. However, it is not nearly as capable as a big 165mm enduro bike for rough and/or fast trails with big features. There is no way around it.

You could argue that these short travel bikes are more fun overall than big enduro bikes (I personally hate being overbiked on mellow trails), but they really shine on jump trails and general trail riding. There is absolutely no problem hitting all the spicy bits you will find along the way...but for the serious stuff, big travel bikes are still the way to go, IMO.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I rode my XC race bike last night with the "trail" wheels and fork. It's a precision weapon and it's a blast how fast you can ride it everywhere...especially on flatter terrain without as much gravity helping you. It's definitely not as fun when things get rougher, but it's also fun passing people like they are standing still and generally hauling a$$ and popping off every little thing. That kind of thing probably constitutes 10% or less of my total riding...but still, it's fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I now have a few rides on my 2023 Optic. I also love short travel bikes (and hardtails, for that matter) and I can confirm the Optic is indeed very capable. However, it is not nearly as capable as a big 165mm enduro bike for rough and/or fast trails with big features. There is no way around it.

You could argue that these short travel bikes are more fun overall than big enduro bikes (I personally hate being overbiked on mellow trails), but they really shine on jump trails and general trail riding. There is absolutely no problem hitting all the spicy bits you will find along the way...but for the serious stuff, big travel bikes are still the way to go, IMO.
Oh definitely. Sorry not trying to argue that everybody needs 110mm of travel and that's it, but rather a lot of trail riders are riding bikes that are way more capable than they realistically need for trail center trails. It just seems like if you don't have 140mm of travel then you are dead, even at the kingdom trails

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just 'run what I brung', which happens to be my enduro bike. Trails are fun regardless of what you're on.

Plus I don't have room for a 2nd trail bike.....yet*.

I say that with a sweet steel RSD frame waiting patiently under my bed.