Quantcast

Bielsko Biała/Szczyrk WC 2024 Race for the golden pierogi.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Bugger about his foot, but him in the commentating booth is a win for us! (well maybe not for Avy...)
What? Gwin broke his Foot? No,what the Fuck you say? Please,tell me I mis read? This is Bullshit!

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
fuck me dead, that looks hectic...
"pedal ya' fook" :rofl:
Almost lost for words watching that.

Normally the fastest people down the hill make everything look so smooth and controlled it almost feels slow.

That first drop to landing high in the berm was just the first in an about 6 moments which I would sum up as “man tries to kill himself via dh run”. Insane stuff.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Almost lost for words watching that.

Normally the fastest people down the hill make everything look so smooth and controlled it almost feels slow.

That first drop to landing high in the berm was just the first in an about 6 moments which I would sum up as “man tries to kill himself via dh run”. Insane stuff.
Yeah, compare his run to some of Jackson or Loic's winning runs. Every time Ronan hit one of those big compressions in the corners I felt like he was <this> close to just folding and going OTB.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Welp, so far the races have been available on the MAX account I get shared from family, at no extra charge, so I'm glad not to have to fork over a new monthly premium.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
We were robbed it wasn't a wet race
It would turn into real carnage since the local area has a lot of this weird clay that really clogs up your tires. Sure some trails are more hardpacked but this sometimes comes with a side effect of those dumb loose rocks people have complained about. At least in my experience it is easier to ride in the rain in places like Morzine, Maribor or Leo.

Not that I'm against it. If the race returns and does so in may the chances for a wet race are quite high. Global warming is fucking up Polish rain patterns though but when I raced 10 or more years ago may had a lot of rain.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Hope they do that track again soon. Bit more interesting than some of the others. Polish fans looked keen too!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hope they do that track again soon. Bit more interesting than some of the others. Polish fans looked keen too!
That enduro vid from Jesse Melamed looked sick too. Easy to spectate enduro when it's on trails that are technically inside the city. Generally it's a great choice of venue because of how easy that town is to reach (technically I can take 1 train and 1 city bus from the Capital to reach the world cup trail) even if there are better DH tracks in Poland like the one Wyn, Blenki and Kerr went before the world cup or one that was host to nats only once 11 years ago and had maybe 1 berm, was full natural, had tons of off camber roots and awkward shit that make for good racing. Weirdly they technically can make it much longer as this only runs from the middle of the hill but probably there are some land rights issues.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That enduro vid from Jesse Melamed looked sick too. Easy to spectate enduro when it's on trails that are technically inside the city. Generally it's a great choice of venue because of how easy that town is to reach (technically I can take 1 train and 1 city bus from the Capital to reach the world cup trail) even if there are better DH tracks in Poland like the one Wyn, Blenki and Kerr went before the world cup or one that was host to nats only once 11 years ago and had maybe 1 berm, was full natural, had tons of off camber roots and awkward shit that make for good racing. Weirdly they technically can make it much longer as this only runs from the middle of the hill but probably there are some land rights issues.
One handy thing about enduro is you can run an event on a pretty small hill and it doesn't need an uplift. There's a few cities around the world where you could realistically run an EDR in the city, or at least very close to it for a decent crowd turnout.

That prologue stage they did in Columbia a few years back where they ran an urban DH stage the day before the main event looked to have had a massive crowd in attendance.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Re: PPV schemas and if they're worth paying. I don't get why the UCI/Discovery decided to hand the viewing rights/means to an obscure app here in Argentina and so many other countries while including them in Max in the US and many other markets.

The logical move would have been going the Netflix way, and creating a cheaper subscription for the third world/poor markets, instead of charging two months worth of Netflix for each race. Or even bundling the races into Max, as mentioned before. They are basically pushing everyone without what's by no means pocket money in developing countries to the illicit streaming sites, instead of creating an appealing offer.

Last year I was able to watch the world championship via Star+, this year with all the changes I'm not even sure if I'd be able to without resorting to Tiz.

And I ain't paying 16 bucks a race.

Fuck the UCI.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One handy thing about enduro is you can run an event on a pretty small hill and it doesn't need an uplift. There's a few cities around the world where you could realistically run an EDR in the city, or at least very close to it for a decent crowd turnout.

That prologue stage they did in Columbia a few years back where they ran an urban DH stage the day before the main event looked to have had a massive crowd in attendance.
True though here it's a full size mountain. The main lift on the hill has 450m of elevation and technically some trails on it run lower on an adjascent hill.

@slimshady they probably had no infrastructure for payment or handling anything in those countries. There are a lot of technical problems that need to be sorted to show something live on streaming. The problem here really is that the rights got bought by a traditional studio and they rarely have global tv or live stream capabilities so they resort to weird partners. They are also cost cutting like crazy and often at random which hurts the consumer (GCN getting closed isn't the only problem)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If only there was a semi-well made app that was available around the world, on multiple platforms and was free to use, that seems like the ideal situation. I'm sure they could even charge a few dollars.

They could even call it redbull.tv if they wanted, surely that's not been taken!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You kidding me? I already have a Max subscription, I could have perfectly watched the races via the app.
Max or HBO? It's handled really poorly. They have cut their costs to lower their leverage but that's a side effect of a modern deregulated economy when a smaller company can buy a larger company while taking massive amounts of debt and then that debt lands on the books of the new company. Essentially disco bought warner with warners money and now they are cutting warners expenses to pay off the debt. Capitalism in the XXI century got really fun and Adam Smith is probably turning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken. Especially in industries with huge bareers of entry and a small number of competitors so everyone can offer a shit product and customers can't do shit about it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Max or HBO? It's handled really poorly. They have cut their costs to lower their leverage but that's a side effect of a modern deregulated economy when a smaller company can buy a larger company while taking massive amounts of debt and then that debt lands on the books of the new company. Essentially disco bought warner with warners money and now they are cutting warners expenses to pay off the debt. Capitalism in the XXI century got really fun and Adam Smith is probably turning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken. Especially in industries with huge bareers of entry and a small number of competitors so everyone can offer a shit product and customers can't do shit about it.
Tell me about it. We have an idiot who thinks he is "the ultimate example of freedom" in the presidential chair, and has cut all welfare programs, sunk half the population into poverty, and closed a lot of small town government offices, effectively cutting a lot of the population from basic services.

All in the name of "freedom".

As Murray Bookchin said, these assholes can't call themselves "llibertarians". hey should be called for what they pursue, to increase their own propierty.

I still maintain it:

FUCK

THE

UCI

/RANT

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tell me about it. We have an idiot who thinks he is "the ultimate example of freedom" in the presidential chair, and has cut all welfare programs, sunk half the population into poverty, and closed a lot of small town government offices, effectively cutting a lot of the population from basic services.

All in the name of "freedom".

As Murray Bookchin said, these assholes can't call themselves "llibertarians". hey should be called for what they pursue, to increase their own propierty.

I still maintain it:

FUCK

THE

UCI

/RANT
I forgot where you hail from. Argentina? I remember some decent economist mentioning Argentina has a real problem with trying to produce too many goods domestically instead of importing which hurts the economy, no one notices it and those problems get used to blame any current government.

As for Libertarians I have one thing to say. Most Libertarian microstate experiments ended up in quarrels about removing age of consent laws because their "maximum freedom" brain rot leaves them to legalizing pedophilia.

Also Texas tried a libertarian city and lol:

Also yes. Fuck the UCI. We need a grassroots race series. Sure FMBA has their problems with random implementation of their rules on comps.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So I wasn't seeing things. Nina won't be racing LEO. Dislocated shoulder in post race celebration in PL. Sucks to have an injury outside of riding