Quantcast

Angry’s Big Number Two

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Day 30 5/16 11.3 miles

Laughing Heart Hostel to Spring Mountain Shelter

As always on the AT there is a long grueling climb out of every town stop with heavy packs of excess food. My pack weighed 32 pounds which is pushing it’s limits. I had packed 8 lbs of food. Far more than necessary. And it was wearing on me to the point that my shoulders were on fire. Normally I can get the pack adjusted to place all the weight on my hips, but not this day. I and others who also were carrying a lot of weight took several breaks to get the packs of our backs. I was miserable and felt like throwing away all my food and quitting. We only made it 11 miles. It was that bad.

I started to look at my pack for issues and realized that the shoulder straps were completely compressed where they contact my shoulders. Also it has around 2800 total miles on it. Later when we got to Erwin I spoke to an outfitter who said that the foam in packs can break down or get compressed, compromising the integrity and affect the fit.

Having all that excess weight caused me to stress eat to get rid of it. The slightest bit of hunger was an excuse to eat. I would eat an energy bar after dinner. Unfortunately by day five I ran out of food.

It’s an extremely difficult balance of food weight vs how much you can carry to achieve. Too much food and you bog down to a shorter distance making it difficult to reach the next resupply stop before you run out. Not enough food and you will have to push the pace to an uncomfortable level to get to your destination.

Shortly after calling it a day and setting up camp we were alerted to the presence of a very large bear down by the water source. First bear sighting of the hike for me.

IMG_3688.jpeg

IMG_3687.jpeg

IMG_3695.jpeg

IMG_3696.jpeg

IMG_3697.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3693.jpeg

IMG_3700.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 31 5/17 15.9 miles

Spring Mountain Shelter to Jerry’s Cabin Shelter

Stopped at the Southern Cookie Lady’s house for some delicious homemade peanut butter cookies. She is a really sweet lady who sets up a trail magic station on her porch. There hikers can get water, dump trash and enjoy a baked good.

Light rain in the afternoon made traversing Big Firescald Knob muddy, slick and dangerous. This is a section that gets little attention in the lore of the trail but is no less formidable than Blood Mountain in Georgia. Here you have to stay focused to not fall. There are several rock scrambles that demand a hiker’s full attention.

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 32 5/18 15.6 miles

Jerry’s Cabin Shelter to Hogback Ridge Shelter

It had been raining quite a bit and we will stay in shelters when either it’s raining too hard to pitch a tent or there are no available tent sites. This also helps since we won’t have to break down a tent in the rain.

We had hiked 12 hours the day before and got to the shelter much later than normal. Wound up eating dinner in the dark with my headlamp watching mice run around my feet. You realize that you now live in a different world than before, as this seems normal.

We got started in the rain and fog which continued until lunch. Sometime in the late afternoon I caught a glimpse of a strip of jet black fur as it streaked across the trail and down into the woods. Bear sighting number two.

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3731.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

IMG_3733.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 34 5/20 13.4 miles

Whistling Gap tentsite to Uncle Johnny’s Hostel

I set the alarm for 5:00am so we could get an early start and get to town. But a minute or so before it went off the Great Barred Owls started going at it. There were several of them and it was unbelievably loud. One hiker said she thought there were monkeys outside her tent. I thought they were going to kill each other. Never heard anything like that before. Wow.

At this point both Daytona Mike and myself were pretty much out of food. I had two fig bars, half a giant Snickers and one dinner that I ate for lunch. Another hiker gave me a honey bun which saved the day.

The trail was mostly downhill to the hostel which sits along the Nolichucky River and across from the AT. We got checked in, cleaned up and got a hot meal nearby.

IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 35 5/21 0 miles

We decided to take a zero to recover from five grueling days of hiking. I decided that there is no way to continue with my current, worn out pack so I ordered a new one. Same model, just uses Ultra 200, a lighter waterproof material. That means no new puzzles to figure out. Having it sent up trail to a hostel that I stayed at last year.

So far this hike has tested me more mentally than last year. I mean, yeah, it’s physically demanding sure. But the gear failures and getting robbed have been very stressful. There are some days, several actually, where I am not having any fun. And the rain, oh the rain. I hate it, really do. But I accept the suffering. Without it there is no thru hike, no beautiful views or stories to collect. So I push on.

123_1.jpeg

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
As I read about your amazing journey, sitting here in the house I grew up in the Central Valley of California, babysitting my geriatric mother, I think to myself, this ain’t so bad.

JK, mad respect and thanks for all of the photographs

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 36 5/22 17.3 miles

Uncle Johnny’s to Cherry Gap Shelter

Another 12 hour day.

Took some time to go through my gear to get rid of anything that I wasn’t using and was able to shed some weight. With a three pound reduction, I was still hurting. Kept having to stop to take my pack off to let my shoulders rest. Looking forward to getting the new pack.

Discovered that another piece of gear was starting to fail. The shoulder strap pocket was holding on by a couple of threads. Shortly after getting in my tent for the night an intense thunderstorm rolled through. I sat there sewing up the connector as it poured buckets of water. There was a running water underneath the tent but no water got inside except for condensation between the flooring and the sleeping pad. So far pretty pleased with the new tent.

IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg

IMG_3817.jpeg

IMG_3830.jpeg

IMG_3831.jpeg

IMG_3826.jpeg

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 37 5/23 17.6 miles

Cherry Gap Shelter to Roan High Knob Shelter

12+ hours with a very difficult climb up to the highest shelter on the AT. Ran into another hiker, Randi, whom we’ve been hiking with at a shelter while getting out of the rain to eat lunch. The two of us continued towards the shelter with the others soon to follow. We wound up pushing each other to reach the shelter. We were both beat. Didn’t take any pictures of the shelter this time because we got there late and had to get into warm dry clothes and eat something.

IMG_3832.jpeg

IMG_3833.jpeg

IMG_3840.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg

IMG_3845.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 38 5/24 16.3 miles

Roan High Knob Shelter to Mountain Harbor Hostel

Easier day but several pack off breaks were required as my shoulders continue to hurt. It rained through the morning but cleared up to reveal the elusive views from the Roan Highlands. Then we made our way down the hill to Mountain Harbor Hostel.

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3879.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 39 5/25 8.8 miles

Mountain Harbor Hostel to Mountaineer Falls Shelter campsite.

Mountain Harbor Hostel puts out an amazing breakfast for hungry hikers. It’s legendary and lives up to the reputation. We ate so much that we were waddling up the trail.

IMG_3884.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 40 5/26 16 miles

Mountaineer Falls Campsite to Black Bear Resort

I had my shoes and pack sent to the hostel but neither were there when I got there. The box my Mom sent which included my new debit card was there however. So that was good. But I continued to get stressed and frustrated. Been rather difficult to find good replacement gear on trail. Ugh.

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 41 5/27 8.9 miles

Black Bear Resort to Boots Off Hostel

Another massive thunderstorm rolled through in the morning so we waited it out until 11:30. Had a good breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast. A much welcomed alternative to eating fig bars on the move.

The water levels were dangerously high in some parts of the trail so we were cautioned to take the high water bypass. When we got there we decided to drop our packs and walk down to Laurel Fork Falls and climbed back up. Even the bypass had several water crossings. And the mud was a chore to navigate.

IMG_3919.jpeg

IMG_3920.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

IMG_3923.jpeg

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3929.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 42 5/28 0

Zero at Boots Off Hostel

Took the day to sort out my gear issues. I had located a pair of shoes at a store 33 miles away and had a shuttle driver on the way to pick me up when the owner of Black Bear texted me that my shoes had been delivered. So a much shorter trip and I now have new shoes. My feet were hurting so bad. It was like walking on boards.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Day 45 5/31 10.2 miles

Abington Gap Shelter to Broken Fiddle Hostel

And yet another day of nice weather. Quite a welcome break from a life in the rain. We had an easy day that ended at the Damascus Diner for lunch. Got to love a town where the AT goes right through it. Then we headed to Broken Fiddle Hostel to get cleaned up. I stayed here last year for two nights and it was good to see the manager, Treehouse, again. He was the guy who picked me up and drove me back to NC when I got hurt and couldn’t find a rental car. Solid dude with a ton of trail wisdom.

IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3972.jpeg

IMG_3971.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg